Monday, September 14, 2009

The Ironman Tattoo!


So I have wanted a tattoo since I was a teenager but opted out for several reasons

1. I acknowledged that I was very young and even though I was in love with vampires, horses and some guy named Chris and thought I might be forever...maybe I shouldn't risk the teen angst tattoo and regret it later.

2 All my friends had them and abstaining from a tattoo was my form of rebellion.

3. Hello..they hurt!


I grew up, fell out of love with Chris, although I still like vampires and horses :)
and the desire for a tattoo was still there. The timing was never right and I never really latched onto what I wanted. Got married, 5 kids later and the desire was still there...I toyed around with some designs but nothing seemed just right.

In 2005 I lost a bunch of weight, found triathlon and was blown away by how passionate I am for the sport. Triathlon came to me when I was at a pretty low point. It bought me through to where I am today. I am in the best shape I have ever been, I have kids who are excited to be active with me and I have accomplished things that I never thought possible. I went into Ironman season not knowing at all of I could even finish, let alone enjoy the experience. I came out the other side feeling like I can now accomplish anything.

So many people do the Ironman and rush right out for the tattoo. I thought..ok..now is my chance..I think this is it. The tattoo makes me feel strong and happy and reminds me of what I have done and what I can do.

It may not be for everyone but as my husband says..it really suits you.

I did a lot of sketching and combining art pieces to get it just right. I went to Slave to the Needle on Sunday and 3 hours later I walked away with a permanent reminder of the fact that I am strong and happy

5 comments:

Jason said...

Awesome design and work! I think it's a great choice and definitely suits you and represents the accomplishment!

LaVonne said...

Bas ass Rachel! I love it! Is it on your shoulder? I can't wait to see it in person!

Unknown said...

Hoo-ray! And no corporate logo. :)

Laura K. said...

It's gorgeous! And I think it totally makes sense that you'd want to do something significant to capture the intensity of all you've accomplished.

Lora Abernathy said...

Hey, just found your blog off ST! LOVE the tat!