Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 1 and ready for bed!

Had probably the best bike ride of my life today. Started out around 10 a.m. after pre ride camp meeting and grouping. A group of about 20 of us left the Slumberlodge and headed out to Ok Falls. At the falls we battled a headwind to Husky Station which was our first aid station. Loaded up on gatorade and cookies and off we went. We were about 2 hours in at this point and began the long climb up Richter Pass. It was a long slow slog but nothing in steepness to what I have been doing back home. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself up at the top with not too much effort. I did a good job at this point regulating my salt pills and hydration. The day was starting to heat up and I sweat buckets of salt. Started the rollers and they seemed to go on for quite awhile. Kept in an easy gear and tried to spin as much as I could. At the 60 mile mark we hit the next aid station and again I took the salt tabs, loaded up on water and electolytes and downed a few cookies an off we went. Down to the turn, climbed up through the false flats to the base of Apex mountain. This is where the famed climb to Yellow Lake begins. The climb is short (a few miles) and steeper than Richter but is difficult after such a long day. Just when I started to really feel it I was done. Top of the hill, another aid station. More salt tabs and a magic cup of coke. Arm warmers and gloves back on for the steep descent. A few more rollers, some screaming downhill and then we were pushing back into Penticton. Got to the hotel, grabbed food, threw the bike in the room an went across the street to Lake Okanogan to sit up to my waist in 50 degree water. A great recovery habit!

I am so happy I was able to do this and have a positive experience. I feel like Ironman is in reach.

Final numbers

95 miles
5:50 hours
16.2 mph

Tomorrow we carpool out to the turn around of the marathon course and run back. The run is NOT flat and I suspect I will have legs of lead but I will do what I can.

Will post more tomorrow night.

3 comments:

Base Gent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Base Gent said...

Can I just say how frikkin' awesome you are!!

LaVonne said...

Great job girlfriend! I am proud of how awesome you are doing! But was really surprised to read you did not enjoy a Snicker's bar with that coke!!!

I look forward to riding with you when you get back - stronger and kicking my butt harder!

L