Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 2 run and swim but without the swim!

Had another great day today. Up early, walked to coffee and came back to sunscreen up and go to the camp meeting at 8:00 a.m.

We drove in groups about 5 miles into the out and back marathon course and parked at the marina. I wanted to do about 2 hours on the course so I plugged in the tunes and off I went. The course is not flat but I was feeling good this morning and running strong. The day was beautiful and the course runs along a lake so how bad can that be. Stopped to get some water at the aid station mile 4 and ran a few more miles before turning around and heading back. Got in about 11.5 miles nice and easy.

Stood in the FREEZING cold water at the marina for a good 15 min. up to my waist to cool down my legs, grabbed some food an Paul and I headed back to the room. After a quick shower it was off to the famous Bike Barn to peruse the goods. I almost bought a kids xl bike jersey which would have fit me. It was covered in cupcakes and said "Riding cupcake mountain"

Back to the room where I held the realistic thought process about doing the open water swim. The lake we were to go to was rumored to be "ok" as far as temps went but no one could really explain what "ok" was. I was STILL cold from soaking my legs earlier plus all the training was catching up on me so I opted for an endurance nap instead.

Woke up, dressed and headed over to the Penticton Lakeside Motel for a buffet dinner with the 50 plus athletes at the camp. Paul and Anna had been to this banquet before and wisely guided me to pick out dessert first before I ate dinner so they would not run out. Us triathletes can EAT!

Had a lovely time. At the end Cal, the director of the camp talked about the ride tomorrow. We will be going off in staggered groups with the slowest ones leaving at 7, then 7:30, 8 and 8:30. The staggering is to prevent those who are fast starting to early and missing the aid stations before they are set up.

Paul and I will be riding in the 7:30 group. The plan is to do the full course, with the out and back, all 112 miles followed by a 30 min run.

Best part of the evening was listening to a talk by the legendary Steve King who has been the announcer and the voice of Ironman Canada for 30 plus years. He is an incredible athlete and announcer. He told a number of inspiring stories and really got me thinking of this journey I am taking and what it means to me.

After the talk, Paul introduced me to him and he is one of those people who remembers everything. Maybe he will remember me when I cross that finish line in August.

Back to the hotel to get bottles loaded with nutrition mixed and put in the fridge, clothing laid out and bikes ready for the big ride tomorrow. It is looking to be in the 80's so a tough day for sure.

Tomorrow is last camp day. I will leave Monday morning for home. I miss the kids and husband something awful but I think I needed to this trip on my own to just focus on me.

I sat around tonight around all these athletes here finally feeling like I am one of them.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Rachel, I am so proud of you. Have an awesome time, and thanks for blogging the experience. You're doing amazing things!!!

Jen said...

I'm enjoying reading about your experience at camp. You are such an inspiration!