Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 3 Full IMC bike course plus 20 min run

Up early for coffee and breakfast

The day was a bit overcast but warmer than the previous 2 days. Suited up with lots of random layers and remembered to sunscreen really well. Took off with the medium paced group for the ride out to Husky. Had a headwind again but pushed a bit harder this time around. I also started on tired legs that seemed to remember the 95 plus miles on Friday an the 2 hour run on Saturday. McClean Creek Road was there before I knew it and it was a hard first little hill. Legs were not happy. At Husky we stopped at the aid station where I took off arm warmers and booties. The day was really starting to heat up. Started the climb up Richter and seemed to have some gearing issues in the first half. I figured it out and spun up to the top. Friday we had a tailwind. Today we just had a lack of wind. The rollers were tougher this go around. Got to the out an back and didn't skip it today. Pushed another headwind. I was taking my Thermolytes every hour which worked fine on Friday but now it was about 15 degrees warmer and I started having some issues. I felt like my helmet was getting tighter and the top of my head felt tingly and numb. It occurred to me that I was really needing more sodium so I began taking a lot more salt. After about 30 min. I was feeling better and stronger. False flats were tough and then a windy climb to the top of Yellow Lake and a scary descent with crosswinds picking me up and blowing me around quite a bit.

Tried to spin a bit coming into town but my toes were on fire at this point an I just wanted to be done. Ran the bikes into the room, running shoes on, hat on, angry music on ..GO! One mile run out and back felt like hell but then we were back at the Slumberlodge and DONE!!

Hobbled over to the icy lake and sat up to my waist for the requisite 15 min.

Warm shower and then out to dinner with friends. A great day.

110.6 miles total

6 hours 33 min

16.8 m.p.h average

I am so ready to just sit on my arse and enjoy my Monday and Tuesday off.

I am so glad I did this camp now to build up my confidence. I have another camp in July with my coach. I am really looking forward to improving on my time and training more in lovely Penticton.

Sleeping in tomorrow and ambling home.

1 comment:

RawTriGirl said...

Loved reading the reports Rachel! I'm SO excited for you!