Friday, May 15, 2009

Ironman Canada Camp Day 1

I am sitting in my hotel room waiting for the others to wake up. Paul and I drove from Bellevue to Penticton yesterday. We met at 10 a.m. which is just about the time I looked down at my bike and noticed that my rear brake pads were almost worn through. I usually am not one to ride the brakes so my guess is that they were never replaced during my last tune up..grrrr. Shame on me for not noticing. Paul was kind enough to cart us to Sammamish Valley Cycle where they replaced the pads in 2 min. Thanks guys!

The rain was coming down pretty hard as we climbed the pass but tapere off as we got into eastern Washington. Stopped for lunch, crossed the border around 4:30 with no issues. Paul has done this camp for 4 years now and this will be his 3rd Ironman Canada so he knows his stuff. He drove me almost the entirety of the bike course so I could finally see Richter Pass, the rollers. the out and back and Yellow Lake. The course looks tough but it is not as scary as I thought it would be. Soooo glad we drove it.

Checked in to the famous Slumberlodge right across from the Peach and the race start. We bought a ton of food from Safeway and then Paul and I walked down Lake shore to a mediocre Mexican restaurant. After dinner we got our bikes set up for the following morning.

Had a good nights sleep. Tried hard to sleep until 8 but woke up at 6:45 ready to go. Took a shower and walked to Starbucks. It is a gorgeous morning. Sunny and should be close to 70 today!

Pre-ride meeting/welcome to camp happens at 9:30 and we will depart on bike at 10. Today is about riding steady and just getting through the 100 miles. I will practice more of a race day scenario while riding the whole course on Sunday.

I am looking forward to tucking into that steep descent off of Yellow Lake with shiny new brake pads!

Will post more later

No comments: