Monday, May 26, 2008

The 7 Hills of Kirkland

Have not updated in awhile. I have been really out of the loop. Husband has been in Australia on a business trip (poor baby) for the past 2 weeks. I had the parents come in for most of the 2 weeks he was gone so I could continue to train. I got some really good rides in and surprised myself by not dying in the two open water swims I attempted. Because of the mountain snow pack melting and pouring into our lakes the temp in Lake Sammamish is averaging a balmy 58 degrees. The wetsuit makes thing bearable.

This morning I got up at 5:30 and met some of my team for the 7 hills of Kirkland ride. It is not a race, just a supported ride. I benefit for a domestic violence shelter in our area. They have 3 options. The traditional 7 hills which is a 40 mile course with 7 hills and 3000 feet of elevation gain, the metric century which is 58 miles, 11 hills with 4500 feet of elevation gain and the full century which is 100 miles, 13 hills and 5500 feet of elevation gain. I chose the metric while most of the rest of the team did the full century. Most of the rest of the team is ramping up for Ironman Canada and since that will not be in my race season until 2009 the 100 miles would not be a great idea for me. I got to ride with the team for about 30 miles and then split off with them and continued on my own. I was able to hook up with another team and run a pace line with them so we all got to take turns pushing the wind out of the way.

I finished feeling pretty strong but I did need to come home and take a nap. I am trying to figure out how the hell I am going to run a 1/2 marathon after a ride of that length.

Slow and steady right?

Anyway....here we are at the start before we got all sweaty and grimy

No comments: